Below you will find a list of articles or books penned by authors of our posts. Many of the resources are specific to teaching English as a second language. Others are more widely applicable. Many are practical. Some are more academic.
Resource links will either take you to the Amazon page for a book or the full-text version of an article. Author links will take you to posts they have written for this blog.
If you would like to contact an author about an article/book, email us at email@example.com, and we’ll forward your message. In some cases, authors may be able to send you a copy of an article.
On teaching in a low-resource environment
- “Teaching in a Low-Resource Classroom” (July 2013) by Sarah Portell, in English Teaching Professional, Issue 87.
On using team-building activities for practice
- “Teambuilding” (May 2012) by Sarah Portell, in English Teaching Professional, Issue 80.
For those who teach oral English or speaking courses
On teaching culture
- “English teaching, Intercultural competence, and Critical Incident Exercises” (2015) by Don Snow, in Language and Intercultural Communication, DOI: 10.1080/14708477.2014.980746.
On lesson planning
- “Apart from Language, What? Reflections on the Content of the Language Lesson” (2012) by Marilyn Lewis, in TESOL Journal, volume 3/4, pp. 529-536.
On co-teaching cross-culturally
- “When Planets Meet” (March 2011) by Qiangba Yangjin & Sarah Portell, in English Teaching Professional, Issue 73.
For those who train or mentor teachers
- “Toward Facilitative Mentoring and Catalytic Interventions” (April 2015) by Melissa K. Smith & Marilyn Lewis, in ELT Journal, volume 69/2.
- “Teaching the teachers: Task-based Teacher Training in Asia” (2015) by Marilyn Lewis, in Contemporary Task-based Language Teaching in Asia (Michael Thomas & Hayo Reinders, eds), Bloomsbury, pp 123-134.
- “Rhythms for a New Context: Learning while Teaching” (2014) by Sarah Portell, Cyndie Junk, & Robin Schmidt, in Teacher Trainer, volume 28/1, p. 21.
- Facilitating Workshops: A Resource Book for Lecturers and Trainers (2014) by Hayo Reinders & Marilyn Lewis, Palgrave Macmillan.
On teaching in the moral dimension
For those who teach theological English
For a reminder that rest is as important as work
Photo Credit: City of Olathe, KS via Compfight cc